A neti pot is a device that cleanses and refreshes the nasal passages. Neti pots are usually plastic or ceramic and they resemble a small teapot. The neti pot has its origin in Ayurvedic medicine. “Neti” is actually Sanskrit for “nasal cleansing.”
Health Benefits of a Neti Pot :
- Congested Sinuses
- Sinus Infections
- Pregnancy-related Sinus Issues
In addition, deep and unobstructed breathing through clear nasal passages specifically helps to balance the prana, our vital life force within the body. Balanced prana brings the mind and body into harmony allowing them to work together as a whole. Smooth flow of prana is necessary for proper functioning of the organs and for tranquility and equanimity.
The Process of Nasal Cleansing:
- Stand in front of the sink. Tilt your head to one side so that one ear is facing down into the sink, and you can see the drain out of the corner of your eye. You should find that having your forehead angling slightly downward and sideways will be just about right.
- Insert spout of Nasal Rinse Cup gently into the raised nostril and create a seal between the Pot and your nostril.
- Raise the Nasal Rinse Cup slowly to develop a steady flow of saline solution through the upper nostril and out the lower nostril.
- During the process, breathe through your mouth.
- Upon completion of the process, exhale gently several times to clear the nasal passages.
- Reverse the tilt of your head and repeat the process on the other side.